MEDICAL EDUCATION BOOKMARKS
These links were organized for Medical Education Development and Leadership
program as part of a presentation developed by DoIT-
Academic Technology consultants Ron Cramer, Cheryl Diermyer, and Alan Wolf.
We will try to keep this reference current, so please send any comments
regarding this site to Alan
December, 2008 Presentation
Other medical links found while preparing this session can be found in Delicious using the tag uwhealthlit
Medical Education Digital Libraries
- Association of American
Medical Colleges - Medical Education Portal
- MedEdPORTAL is a new publishing venue through which faculty may disseminate
their educational works. It was designed to promote collaboration and educational
scholarship by facilitating the exchange of peer reviewed teaching resources
such as tutorials, cases, lab manuals, assessment instruments, faculty
development materials, etc.
- MERLOT Health
- A collection of materials for the health sciences that is part of a larger
- Family Medicine Digital Resources Library
- Supports and enhances the sharing and collaborative development of educational
resources among family medicine educators through a Digital Library that
includes resources for all levels of family medicine education.
- ERIC educational resources
- A digital library of educational research.
Take the role of instructor presenting information and guiding the learner in initial aquisition (Alessi and Trollop, 1985).
- The Auscultation Assistant
- A tutorial of help medical students learn characteristics of different
heart murmurs and breath sounds.
- Osteoporosis and Bone Physiology
- A survey of osteoporosis
- HyperHeart details bloodflow, aortic/ventricular volumes and
pressures present in a normal cardiac cycle.
Drill and Practice
Often part of other materials, but can stand alone. They allow the learner to practice and develop fluency (Alessi and Trollop, 1985).
- Pathology examinations (Univ. Utah)
- A variety of pathology questions in an exam like format
- Univ. Cincinnati College of Medicine courseware
- A series of guided exercises in human anatomy using Shockwave for fast and attractive graphics. Increasingly difficult to use as the software slides further out of date.
- Global Anatomy Home Page
- A home-grown neuroanatomy and histology reference.
More complex. Take the role of instructor presenting information, guides the learner in initial aquisition, drill and sometimes evaluate performance. Imitate a situation to help teach (Alessi and Trollop, 1985).
- Welcome to EnviroDx
- Environmental medical case studies in an interactive fashion.
- The Eye Simulator
- An animated simulation to demonstrate eye motion and pupil response
Teaches the problem solving methodology (problem analysis, listing alternative solutions, selecting one alternative, implementing it, analyzing the result, and beginning the cycle again if the solution has not worked)
- Finding the Path (Harvard University)
- A Problem-based Guide to Diagnostic Imaging Strategies in the Emergency Room.
On demand performance support
Designed to allow learners to quickly learn or review concepts, techniques or procedures as needed.
- eMedicine:online medical resource
- A guide to pathophysiology, differentials, work-ups, treatment, medications, and follow up care. It is referenced, peer-reviewed, and there are quizzes in some of the modules.
- A large site of links to information on the care of thousands of diseases and injuries
- HyperTox is a hypertext program in Clinical Toxicology.
Other Medical Software And Links
Medical multimedia databases
- ATLAS ENDOSCOPY OF GASTROINTESTINAL DISEASES
- Primarily an altas of endoscopic procedures.
- The Whole Brain Atlas
- An excellent set of images of normal and diseased brains using several imaging technologies.
- Online Continuing Medical Education (CME) at the Virtual Lecture Hall (VLH)
- On-line lectures with PowerPoint slides, text, and audio for CME
- Welcome to Cyberounds®
- Series of case presentations some parts available for CME credit. Registration required (Free).
Computerized text books
- Primer on Molecular Genetics (Department of Energy)
- Primarily Text based introductions to current techniques in molecular genetics (a few animations at key points)
- Digital Anatomist Interactive Atlases
- Catalogs of digital atlases of Human anatomy.
- WebPath: The Internet Pathology Laboratory
- Another pathology site with images, lab exercises, examination questions, and tutorials.
- Virtual Anaesthesia Textbook
- Just as it says an online text book for anaesthetists.
- Very nice site on early human development
Metasites (databases of instructional materials)
Visible Human Project
- A site from which many anatomy sites are derived.
- An on-line magazine for medical students from Brazil (in English).
- MedMark: Medical Bookmarks
- A large medical meta-site with links to other meta-sites..
Instructional design sites
- Instructional design defined
Other example links from the MEDAL presentation
Grand Rounds - http://www.pediatrics.wisc.edu/education/cme/grandrounds.html
UCLA Medical School
- Asculation Assistant - http://www.med.ucla.edu/wilkes/index.htm
University of Cincinnati - Medware - http://www.med.uc.edu/medware2/Pract40/practmenu.htm
Finding the Path - Harvard - http://brighamrad.harvard.edu/education/online/ftp/FTP.html
Univ. of Utah EnviroDx - http://www.lib.med.utah.edu/envirodx/
From past events
Gateway Community College - Skull Bone Identification
University of Michigan Medical School - Cardiax
Howard Hughes Medical Institute - Webcast
Links from Educause Article on IT in Medical Education (not previously mentioned)
http://net.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/ECAR_so/erb/ERB0824.pdf (requires an Educause login).
Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries, http://www.aahsl.org/
Association of American Medical Colleges, Group on Information Resources,
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern McGaw
Simulation Network, http://simulation.northwestern.edu/default.aspx
Society for Simulation in Healthcare, http://ssih.org/
Stanford University School of Medicine, Center for Immersive and Situation-
Based Learning, http://cisl.stanford.edu/
Craig Gjerde's recommended links
http://www.med-ed.virginia.edu/menu/otherMedEd.cfm Virginia Medical Education Links
http://www.pediatrics.wisc.edu/education/derm/ Slides [Master]
-- Med EdPortal or
2008 References from Craig Gjerge
AAMC Report on Instructional Technology
Academic Medicine (Journal)
Family Medicine (teaching) journal Free
Teaching and Learning in Medicine (assess through library)
Med Ed OnlineSGEA site--Teaching references
Survey Monkey On-line Survey Tool
Back to Alan Wolf's
December 19, 2011